Friday, February 8, 2013

Studies

Okay, I've been thinking of what a blog is. I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't have to be long or eloquent or even a finished thought, even though I wanted it to be. It is late at night and I have the slightest fear of my hands falling off before sunrise, but I think I've had enough coffee to go through with this blog.
So let me start here.

I am participating in an art challenge, called Art Imitates Art, where artists take a child's piece of art as inspiration and make something from that.

Child's Painting

For the idea I have, I first want to improve my portrait skills. In order to do this I did a couple studies of general portraiture. (And if you've read any of my previous blogs, you'll know how much I like studies) These are purely academic. I was trying to figure out things like skin-tone and shading, under a time limit.

The first two were painted from cropped photos from magazines. 



guy

I gave myself an hour for these two.

chick

Next I got a couple models to sit for me. In exchange for an hour of their time I gave each of them the 8x10'' study I made that day. I'm really glad I got to paint them.

Keren

I took closer to an hour and a half for these two.

Flor

Now I have built the canvas the final painting will be on and started painting it. I'm going to make time for it and it will be in The Foundry's Art Imitates Art show soon.






*This blog was brought to you by coffee, insomnia and coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment